AWS and Tetrate have brought ability to deploy Istio to EKS cluster with minimal number of steps. TID EKS add-on deployment can be done via AWS Web console or AWS CLI. Below are both approaches are described.
Installing TID addon via AWS Web Console
- Proceed to EKS section of AWS Web Console and locate your cluster:
- Select Add-ons tab and select Get more add-ons
- Scroll down to AWS Marketplace add-ons section of add-ons
Tetratein the search bar
- select checkmark in the right top corner and click Next
- on the next screen confirm the TID version and click Next
- Review and add screen to make sure the selection is correct
- You’re taken back to the cluster add-on tab and can see that the add-on is being created
- After waiting for 90 seconds and UI refresh you can see that the add-on is deployed successfully
Installing TID addon via the command line
Check that add-on is available (the AWS Marketplace subscription is required before for TID addon to be deployed in AWS account)
aws eks describe-addon-versions --addon-name tetrate-io_istio-distro
Deploy TID add-on to the cluster in AWS EKS
aws eks create-addon --addon-name tetrate-io_istio-distro --cluster-name <CLUSTER_NAME>
The installation will take around 2 minutes. To get the current state use the following command.
aws eks describe-addon --addon-name tetrate-io_istio-distro --cluster-name <CLUSTER_NAME>
When the add-on is in Active state - you can proceed with deploying applications in Istio-enabled EKS cluster.